Monday, March 17, 2014

Sustainability in our Blighted Communities

Question: Both your "Top Priorities" list and your "First 100 Days" list contain a line about "identifying and cleaning up blighted neighborhoods". I just wanted to know what you consider a "blighted neighborhood" and what "cleaning up" would entail? I realized I was curious about your criterion and specific plans for these neighborhoods.
Answer:  There are many explanations for "blighted neighborhood", The Associated Press (2009) suggested that Mr. David Brown Kinloch, of Louisville, KY went into a "blighted neighborhood", "unsightly rows of vacant homes where crime flourished into a model of urban renewal". With vision, blighted areas can become neighborhoods of renewable green energy developments. When I think of blighted neighborhoods, I think of boarded up homes, abandoned properties and slum lord properties, to include Downtown properties as well. I passed a bill in 2013 to address the issue of adjudicated proprieties to reduce the wait time from 3 to 5 years to 18 months, in order to get these proprieties back on the rolls and back into commerce. Blighted neighborhoods are eyesores that I want to eliminate and create green spaces, gardens and flourishing communities.
Thank you for your questions and I look forward to much more dialogue with you in the future.
Sincerely,
Patrick

unnamed-28

No comments:

Post a Comment